Thursday, May 18, 2006

The Return of the Polar Pups?

When Aliy's first litter was just a few days old the pups gave me quie a scare by screaming their heads off non-stop for several hours. In desperation I finally took them to the vet. As soon as we got there and the vet began to examine them they quieted down.

What was the secret? They were HOT.

As he checked each one out he was laying them doww on the cool tile floor of the exam room. As soon as each pup's tummy hit the tile they instantly became quiet. That's when I knew I had "ice pack puppies".


In the beginning we used cool cloths or towels but at about 10 days we broke out the ice packs, yes honest to God ice packs, in little flannel jackets, for the puppies to sleep on.


This morning little Yellow would not calm down. Remembering how Babe and her sisters had acted that day almost two years ago, I picked Yellow up and set her on the ceramic tile floor. Instant Quiet Puppy.


It's too soon for them to be "on ice" yes, so we'll have to make do with cool cloths and cermaic tile floors for now, but I can see I'm going to need to make a Target run here soon to buy some ice packs!

Meanwhile her brother the Green Boy looks like a beached whale, doesn't he?