Monday, May 22, 2006

Cabbages and Kings, Chapter 1

‘The time has come’, the walrus said, ‘To talk of many things: of shoes and ships and sealing wax, of cabbages and kings.’

The lines quoted above were written more than 100 years ago by Lewis Carroll in Through the Looking Glass. This is an appropriate title for the story of Aliy's pregnancy; the birth of her puppies could have been something Alice witnessed in Wonderland.

Carolyn and Leo asked in the comments when I knew that Aliy was pregnant. And several other people have written and asked for more details as well. The story is amazing (and funny when viewed after the fact) but also quite embarrasing from someone who considers themselves both very "in tune" with their dogs as well as a semi-experienced breeder.

Anyway here's the story told from my side of the fence.... it's a long story, maybe I need to do it in installments???

Chapter 1 - How Did Aliy Get Pregnant?

First off let me explain that when a girl comes in season she is not breedable imediately. She may allow a breeding but until she reaches a certain point, the breeding will not produce puppies. Most girls are "ready" between days 8 and 16 of their season.

Aliy (and several of my other girls) came in season on February 27, 2006. Yes, I keep track of these things. I even have a database set up that I can carry on my PDA.

I left for the Scottsdale, Arizona dog shows on February 28. Max was with me in Arizona the first part of Aliy's season, so we know that he never got close to her and that she was probabably not ready anyway.

I returned on March 7. When I got home, according to Max, several of the girls were "ready". From that point on he was never allowed outside with any of them. When he was not in his kennel, they were and when they were not in their kennels, he was. (Note: my dogs all usually run around loose togeher in the house and yard so this "being in season" things really throws a kink in their days).

So if either Max or Aliy was always "locked up" for the duration of her season how did she get pregnant?

I have no idea.

Based on when the puppies were born, they "did the deed" sometime around March 12. Since my husband insists he did not let them out together, and I know I didn't, that means Max must have bred Aliy through a kennel. Yes, I've heard of this happening but I never imagined an inexperienced dog such as Max could have done that. But that's the story we have to go with.

Coming next - Chapter 2: What's Wrong With Aliy?