Wednesday, June 14, 2006

They Say You Can Never Go Home Again....

.... but Green Boy tried this morning!

I put the puppies out on the deck early this morning. About an hour later my husband said he'd just looked out the window and saw Green Boy heading for The Hole.

By the time we got outside, Green was nowhere to be found. Neither was Aliy. I began calling her and she popped up out of The Hole. Green had to be down there, but he had gone far enough in that we could not see him.

My husband went inside to get a flashlight, I stood guard at the hole entrances.

Then I had an idea.

I went back up to the deck, grabbed the ice packs and put one just inside the entrance to each hole and made a bunch of noise to attract Green's attention. Within 2 minutes Green had made his way out of the depths of the hole and settled himself down on the ice pack for a nap.

I scooped him up and put him back on the deck. We then reinforced the gate to the steps that one of the other dogs must have knocked down.




The really surprising thing? That a 4.5 week old puppy went down a flight of steps! And that he had some kind of instinct to head straight for the place he was born. How did he know the hole was there?